Recruitment firm Adelante LLC is looking for an Internal Environmental and Social (E&S) Team Leader for the hydroelectric project in Georgia managed by joint venture between foreign and Georgian governments.
Position holder can be an expat (should have more than 20 years relevant experiences in the field.) and will be based in Tbilisi and have frequent business trips to site, when/as required. Position reports to the Project Manager; manages the team made of Social Manager, Environmental Manager, Field Environmental Officer, Land Acquisition and Community Investment staff; has external relationships with local communities, lenders governmental agencies; internally communicates with all staff, consultants, owners, engineers.
Key responsibility areas:
• Overseeing the environmental and social performance of the project implementation
• Manage and monitor the implementation of the Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) measures
• Manage the relevant budgets
• Establish scope of work for, and manage, contracts with specialised E&S sub-consultants
• Manage the communication with the lenders on E&S aspects
• Prepare reports to landers and larger public
• Ensure that environmental or social monitoring reports are produced and quality assured
• Propose, implement and monitor measures necessary to comply with national environmental and social legislation
• Monitor and advise on compliance with lenders E&S policies; resolve E&S issues in case of non-compliance, and where needed, prepare time-bound corrective action plans with specific follow-up procedures.
Other specific responsibilities:
• Promote good health, social and environmental practices throughout all Company activities;
• Consult with other line managers and Owners Engineer and give appropriate advice on formulating best-practice policies and procedures.
• Amend, improve or develop internal procedures required for E&S management
• Provide, or where necessary source, environmental and social training to the E&S Team members
• Manage public disclosure of E&S project documentation
• Conduct fortnightly site visits at minimum to (i) monitor progress of the E&S team on the field, (ii) meet project-affected villagers and local authorities, and (iii) audit worksites with respect to health safety, environmental and social issues
• Prepare annual work plan for the E&S team
• Control the supervision by the Owner’s Engineer of the implementation of the ESMP measures
• Guide, and where necessary source, the public relation approach and communication strategy with affected communities and Civil Society Organisations
• Implement and improve the Environmental and Social Management System required for the execution of the ESMP measures under the responsibilities of the Company
• Support and monitor the implementation of the Land Acquisition and Livelihood Restoration Plan by the Social Manager and the Land Team
• Monitor the implementation of Stakeholder Engagement Plan and Grievance Mechanisms by the Company field staff
• Provide guidance to, and monitor the implementation by, the Environmental Manager and the Land team of the measures relating the Restoration of access to pasture
• Support and guide the preparation and execution of the Community Investment Plan by the Social team
• Assist the Environmental Manager in procuring the Downstream Flood Protection Plans and liaise with the EPC Contractor and Owners Engineer to control the execution of flood studies and associated mitigation measures along the local river
• Oversee the work done by the Environmental Manager for the preparatory actions and execution of the Vegetation Management Plan by the EPC Contractor and other third parties
• Procure, monitor and assess the work required for the Wildlife conservation and river habitat management plan activities together with the Environmental Manager
• Ensure the measures included in the Water quality management plan are conducted by the E&S Team
• Ensure the Environmental Monitoring activities (water quality, hydrology, land use, socio-economy, aquatic biodiversity) are timely and qualitatively performed by the E&S team or third party monitoring entities as required.